Thursday, October 1, 2009

Post #9

Fats and fatty acids, I knew that there are different forms, I just didn't realize the complexity of the chemical make-up. We do need fats and fatty acids in our diets to keep the cells elastic, the liver functioning, and the brain sharp. The fats and fatty acids that are found in fruits and vegetables are easier for our bodies to utilize and we do need some fats from animal sources. The ones we don't need are the ones that chemical companies manufacture. We need omega-6 in a proper ratio, 4:1, with omega-3. Omega-6 can be found in a variety of foods, omega-3 can be found in cold water fish and in smaller amounts in flax seed.

As for fats in my own diet, I've had to watch how much I eat for years. About 24 years ago I had my gall bladder removed, more often than not people don't have too much problem with their diet afterwords. I, on the other hand, am in the small number that does have problems with foods. Mine is with fats in foods, the worst offender is the fats found in breads, tortilla shells, the breading on fried chicken, and with gravy made with flour. I will now be reading labels for hydrogenated oils, triglycerides, and other processed fats.

No comments:

Post a Comment